From 4 parameters to 8 elements
We have seen:
- the 4 parameters of sound (pitch, duration, intensity, and timbre),
and we have learned that
- “music” is “sound” that is continuous, organized, and pleasing.
Four more things that help organize music, make it happen over time, and make it pleasing are:
- form, texture, tempo, and even the use of silence.
In the following sections we’ll look at the 8 elements of music in detail. Here they are (in music, we use the term “dynamics” instead of “intensity”:
High or Low
Long or Short
Loud or Soft
Thick or Thin
Fast or Slow
- Each lesson starts with a summary in outline form (TL;DR, or “too long, didn’t read”.) This can help you to organize your mind as you look at the rest of the lesson.
- There are illustrations and diagrams you can copy and print out. There are videos to watch, and to listen to. Watch and listen to everything!
- At the end of each lesson there is a “Remember!” box with keywords and ideas that are important for you to remember and understand.
- Do all of the games and quizzes!
- Download and print out the mind map below. It will help you visualize everything. It will also be a part of your final test – you’ll have to fill out the mind map yourself!